Me As A Student

I am an okay student. I would give myself an eight-out-of-ten on the good student scale, but the two points I cut for myself basically make the difference between a good engineering college and an average engineering college. It sounds harsh and is unfair in a lot of ways, but it is true.

Sometimes I can't make much sense out of my own student life. I seem to be doing better than most people, but I'm never at the top of the class. I like Science, but I am not particularly inclines to it. I just took it because that's what most good students did. I hate the hard work I have to put in as well as the cut-throat competition which seems to be lurking all around me.

But at the same time, I can't imagine my life without all this.

I start my day at 4:30 a.m. After freshening up, I start studying. My school is a long way from my house and traveling takes a lot of time, so I have to make up for the lost study time by compromising a bit on sleep. By the time I get back home, I am exhausted but never has anyone been able to guess how tired I am. On days I have to attend coaching classes, my day starts at dawn and ends at about nine at night, which means I have to give about seventeen hours to studies and related matters (I should tell you that the 'related matters' take up a lot of time).  It is taxing and I am not happy with it, but I can't imagine my life without the hard work. It's almost as if I were given an easier life, I wouldn't want to live it. Less burden is like a place I would like to go on vacation, but would definitely not want to live there.

I am just confused why it is so. Maybe it's like having kids- they are the biggest headaches possible but you love them and can't live without them. Or maybe its just me- I'm just genetically wired to keep working and hate every minute of it. But whatever it is, I think it's the only thing which propels me to compete further, study more and try to do better as a student. Nobody ever told me to aspire for a ten on the student scale, it's just something which comes from inside me.

To be quite honest, my only fear is that one day I'll wake up and realize that despite all the hard work I did, I didn't really do anything. It's not the fear of becoming common, it's just the fact that I can't stand the thought of not having had a moment to just look back and ask myself, "What is it that I really want?" But then again, maybe that day will never come. I'm sure everybody looks back on their life and things of the un-memorable times and wonder is they could have done more, but mostly, they are satisfied. They may have done the commonest of things, but they know how much of work those things took.

The only good thing that has come out of all the thought I put into all this is that now I know what kind of a student I really am- I am a student who is learning about life. Life goes on and that may be why I can't imagine not working.

Comments

Popular Posts