Welcome 2012

Ladies and gentlemen, I proudly present to you 2012!

2011 saw many ups and downs. Northern Africa smouldered in rebellion/revolution (you decide what it was). Closer home, Anna Hazare became an anti-corruption star and in a funny turn of events, became one of the most searched personalities on Google, joining the likes Katrina Kaif. We lost many- Jagjeet Singh, Pataudi, Dev Anand, Shammi Kapoor, Amy Winehouse, Elizabeth Taylor and even Osama Bin Laden and Gaddaffi. We also welcomed the seventh billionth baby. India brought home the World Cup for the second time, but disappointments were seen in track with our women's relay team facing suspension due to doping charges. Small movies scored dig, big movies let everyone down. Like every year, this too was one full of surprises, shocks, trials, tribulations and hopes of millions for a better future.

I have never been crazy about year New Year's or birthdays. I sometimes see them as an end, not a beginning, At other times, I see them as normal days, just like any other. But this year, I am choosing to be optimistic about the new year. 

You see, this year, I end with school and hopefully start with college. My parents are busy thinking of the future, but nobody but me sees what is getting left behind. Everywhere I look, there is some change going on. Some changes have nothing to do with me and some are all about me, but the culmination of them all will shape my future.

Given how big a year this is for me, do you think I'll believe 2012 will bring the end of the world?

I see reports in the newspapers, dystopian fantasies about post-apocalyptic countries and people talking about how the world ends in 2012. But if a recent ad on TV is to be believed, more people are sending out New Year's wishes than worrying of the apocalypse. So, instead of believing some Chinese prophecy, what I'm going to do now is prepare. I'm going to prepare for exams, for college, for life, because even though preparation takes a lot of hard work, preparation is the biggest indicator of hope. So cheers to all those who are renovating their houses, taking loans and going for rehearsals. Their preparation symbolises a hope that is stronger than the supposes apocalypse that is appraching us.

My dear readers, welsome 2012 with open arms. And if the end is near, we'll all go together and that too, in its own poetic way, will be something to celebrate.

Comments

Popular Posts