Let's Talk Politics For A Change

I have been watching some TV and have got in touch with some current affairs. A certain election in my country brought some un-surprising results. The outcome was pretty much decided way before votes were cast because sometimes, you just know who's going to win.

This made me wonder- How often does our political conviction make a difference?

Ever since I was a kid, I have seen that leaders who're so hated by the people often come to power. Trust me, a cynical teenager's observation is never wrong. I have a big question- how do these people come to power if so many people hate them? I had just one answer- maybe we just don't care enough.

Ask any teenager and he/she is most likely to say he/she is apolitical. Basically, it's a way of saying 'I don't read papers and know nothing about the country'. I'll admit, even I am not very into the politcal affairs of my country but at least I realize I should be.

When so many people are apolitical, how come the government gets so much criticism? I mean, if you don't care, what gives you the right or the inclination to make a comments?

Now, I am not one of those adults who chants, "Don't blame the government for everything". If you want to blame the government for the sun rising two minutes late, you're free to do that. We're a democracy, right? We do have the constitutional right to trash-talk the government any time we want. But at the same time, it's good to have political conviction. That doesn't necessarily mean you have to be a devout leftist or rightist. It just means, that for our own benefit, we should know about the people and the events that run the country we live in. Knowledge will undoubtedly induce politcal conviction, rage when we are wronged by the people we choose, pride when our country succeeds and a sense of duty which I think could help all of us.

If you've been reading carefully, you will see that all I ask of you is to take a balanced political view. As you may know, democracy is all about checks and balances. And democracy begins with you.

Comments

Popular Posts