All I Want

All I want is a reason to be happy
To not feel like I need something more
To feel relaxed, not move quite so fast
To run around till my feet are sore
As I chase the joy I may never have
Fill my life with achievements so I'll believe
I'm doing great when really I'm not
My happy moments have slipped out memory's sieve.
I want a real friend who'll suit my moods
Someone who won't judge me when I make mistakes
A soft shadow supporting me through
In her suffering, my hand she'll take.
I want to know I'm good enough
And stick to that confident notion
For frankly speaking, I'm doing good for myself
I'm fighting through all the commotion.
I want to know I am secure
I have a future for which I can hope
To know I have the capability to work for it
To know it without being told.
I want to live a simple life
With no drama from here and there
For every time I get attention
I'll also be met by frowns and snares.
I want to reach a point in life
Where it won't matter what people say
I won't have to remind them and myself
Of my own existence, come what may.
I want to learn what's worth my energy
And who is just a waste of time
I don't want to chase after those who don't care
Just because they'rem worth more than a dime.
I want the simple things in life
Which girls my age usually crave
But I don't want to be tied down by age
Or to give up and instead be brave
To fully understand life's still ahead
And it never really matters what happens now
It matters not who's considered the best
Who is the subject of their peers' awe.
But above all else I want to stay this way
To continue fighting for my happiness
To continue living on my own terms
To not compromise in my life's mess.
I just want to be able to be myself
For I am the girl who knows what's true
My spirit may flicker because of what I see and hear
But this is still me, right in front of you.
But...

Comments

  1. That was deep, Shreyonti. Gosh, it's been some time since I was a teen - I actually have a teen daughter though and your fears/worries sound like what she tells me. You're so uber talented. Never give up *pumps fist in the air* I love how you ended the poem with a simple - But... Great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts