False Shadow

Your shadow lurks right behind
The curtains as I go through my daily grind
Trying to distract me from my life
From reality which is sometimes a strife.
You stand for all things simple and pretty
You attract me and don't let me be gritty
You might be beautiful to observe
But beauty doesn't always serve
The ones like me who need the truth
Not a handsome facade whose insides have soot
From burning with negative feelings
And from ignoring life's true reelings.
You mislead me to think and feel
That you would ever think of me with zeal
But the truth is now in front of my eyes
I can see past all your lies.
Now I need you to go away
More than I can ever say
I need you to not come back
With any more honeyed verbal attacks
No more sweet words should reach my ears
So I can save myself some tears
When they prove to be all false
As I can't ever get past your heart's walls.
Change yourself before you return
And until then my back is turned.
Don't look for me for you won't find
The girl who always followed you behind.
Now it's time for me to move on
Without you, embrace a new dawn
Without you to pierce needles through my heart
For we will be miles apart.
I can already see myself
On a fancy library's shelf
Beaming out of the novel's cover
As you simply sit there and hover.
I can't do this as long as you are
There to give me more and more scars
So until you grow up, this is my goodbye,
I can't handle another lie.

Comments

Popular Posts