Language v/s True Creativity

This is for all my writer friends out there. Today I raise a simple question- which is most important for creative writing? The 'creative' or the 'writing'.

I live in a country where English is the second or language for almost everyone who knows how to speak it or write it. 'English', quite frankly, is still a novelty for a lot of people. I mean, you can impress people of high rank by throwing a lot of complicated English words their way. It's probably like knowing fluent French in a predominantly So, in my writing 'career', I have seen a lot of people who are more impressed by the use of fancy words and sophisticated language. Work which employs simple language but novel ideas may not be appreciated that much.

So my question is this- what is more important, language or ideas.

It is true that good language is imperative to write a successful book. A lot of books out there which are doing very well in the market have achieved success at leat partly because of the lucid flow of language used by the writer. However, there are instances where these books don't really give much food for thought. On the other hand, a lot of great writers of the past centuries have not exactly been masters of language. I mean, 'To Kill A Mockingbird' didn't become what it is today by virtue of the language employed by Harper Lee. It became what is is because it explores so many themes- racism, injustice, petty gossip in towns, feminism- in such a simple way through the eyes of a child that it is hard to not relate to it, even if you're a seventeen-year-old in India facing problems which are absolutely different from those talked about in the book.

In recent years, I have seen more blood and less sould in a lot of young adult novels. One exception was 'Thirteen Reasons Why' in deals with how the 'snowball effect' drives a girl, Hannah, to suicide. Small incidents slowly turn into big ones and cause her to end her life. You feel her pain, her anguish due to the bullying she has to face. You can feel that despite being a pretty, nice girl, she is all alone. You feel that whenever she reaches out for support, the tragic turn of events cause her to withraw her hand. And above all else, you might feel she did the cowardly thing, but you understand whjat caused her fear.

Dear writers, please don't underestimate your readers. We appreciate it when you make your works relatable. We don't always live in the land of vampires, warewolves and shape-shifters. So next time you write a love story (or I write one), perhaps we can toy with the idea of.... Having to break up to go to college? I mean, everyone who had a boyfriend/girlfriend in high school has had to face this at some point or
the other.

As a part of my school activities, I have to participate in a lot of writing competitions. Sometimes I lose and feel it's because of my use of simple language. But I treat writing like something sacred. Trust me, it has helped get through a lot of unimaginable mental anguish (I am not making that up). So I can't change my writing to win prizeas. Interestingly, Americans who have read my stories think my language is too 'formal', not exactly reflective of my generation. But that's how I was taught to read and write English, and since most of my characters are from the upper-middle class Indian society, in my head, they think and speak the way I write them to. So, for me characters and language are strongly related.

Now I raise the question to you- what is more important, language or true creativity?

Comments

  1. I think you need both. I wouldn't want to sacrifice one for the other or have to choose between them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, good question. I agree with Kelly in the fact that you need a great plot AND the writing has to be compelling. I like your idea about featuring a breakup at the end of senior year. It's something almost all seniors go through, and you're right, it can super difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only medium from creative thought to expression of that creative thought is language. If the language isn't compelling enough or isn't clear enough to entice and communicate with your reader, what you have tucked inside your head might as well just stay there.

    My 2 cents! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts