The Only Memory I Have

The only memory I have of that place
Is my childhood best friend's face
Her cheeks still chubby, her hands still soft
Her tantrums as we played on her loft.
I remember when I first went to school
On that van which had it's own rules
'Don't you peek out that window
and don't reach, for then you'll know
What it feels like to be hit by a car
And in daylight, to see bright stars'
We did just as we were told
And never quite tried to be bold
We felt we were in trusting hands
Of people who saved us from fearsome lands.
We entered school and as a bunch
Sat close together during lunch
As grown-ups taught us to hold spoons
And then sent us back to our classrooms.
I remember always asking 'Why?''
never fearing I would die
of being embarassed when a face
Disapproved of the question I raised.
Fairies still were real for me
So were the magic and knowledge tree
Anything could happen in my life
Even an angel could relive me of strife.
'Innocent' was what described me best
But in my mind there was just unrest
No way to quench my unquenchable thirst
To get all my facts right first
As no matter how much I trusted
The stories that were enthrusted
Onto me without my permission
To enchant me into submission
I soon found hard facts my way
Which is how I got where I am today
But my memories of that place are blurred,
That place that's called my childhood world.


Comments

  1. nice poem! funny how we only have little snippets of memories from our past, isn't it? (It only gets worse as you get older...)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts